This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This cheesy potato recipe uses frozen hash browns and lots of cheese and spices for the ultimate one-pot, zesty oven potato casserole!
I love the way this casserole is creamy and luscious on the inside, yet crispy and a bit crusty on the outside. The perfect hash brown casserole, in my opinion!
It’s easy and quick to put together, yet so hearty and satisfying. Great for any night of the week or for special occasions like Thanksgiving or Christmas. It’s even a fabulous potluck casserole to take somewhere or have at home.
Make a Great Cheesy Potato Recipe
This recipe is so easy – really all you need to do is gather the ingredients and follow the recipe. But there are also a few “insider” tips to help you on your way to a great hashbrown casserole.
Starting this recipe in an oven-safe pan is pretty important. I love my cast iron skillet, and it converts easily from stove top to oven.
I like to freshly grate all my cheeses, as the store-bought, already-shredded cheeses have additives to help prevent spoilage that make it more difficult for them to melt. Sometimes, they also end up with a gritty texture. Only use pre-shredded cheese if you really, really have to (just my 2 cents 😉 )
I like to use the “healthier” canned cream soups – ones with no MSG added. Yes, it would be even healthier to create my own cream soup in the recipe, but sometimes it’s just better (in other words – less stressful) to just use a short cut. I still consider this home made, and the results will convince you too!
You can substitute any other color of bell pepper for the red – I just like the nice color the red adds. You can also use a hot pepper like jalapeno in place of (or in addition to) the bell pepper if you’d like a little spice.
You can also substitute Monterrey Jack cheese or mozzarella cheese for the pepper Jack if you don’t want a bit of spice. In don’t think it is very spicy, but for whatever reason you may want to avoid spicy.
My husband doesn’t like spicy things, but he liked this pretty well. I think he would have preferred regular Monterrey Jack in place of the pepper Jack, though.
I hope that you and your family love this Cheesy Potato Recipe and that you will print it, pin it, and share it with your friends on Facebook! Please also leave a comment below.
And don’t forget to sign up for all the great recipes coming out weekly. You don’t want to miss a one!
Cheesy Potato Recipe (AKA Hashbrown Casserole)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 small onion , finely chopped (about ½ cup)
- ½ large red bell pepper , finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 30 ounces hashbrown potatoes , frozen
- 1 cup pepper Jack cheese , shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1 10.5-ounce can cream of chicken soup (or mushroom)
- 1 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup French fried onions , lightly crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Preheat cast iron skillet on the stove top for 5 minutes on medium. Add oil, onion, and red pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- In medium size bowl add the hashbrowns and the rest of the ingredients except for fried onions and stir together.
- Pour hashbrown mixture into skillet and stir to incorporate with onion and red pepper.
- Top evenly with fried onions.
- Bake 35 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Don’t Forget to Pin For Later!