This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This Mexican pasta salad is lightly spicy and creamy and full of flavor. Perfect for weeknights or at your next potluck, cookout, or picnic.
The flavors are lightly taco spicy with hints of cilantro and lime along with the sweetness of the corn and tomatoes. Add the zestiness of the cheese (optional, but highly recommended) and the distinct black bean flavor …
Equals perfect pasta salad … Mexican and Southern style (HA!)
Great for making ahead, although I like to leave the dressing and tomatoes out until shortly before serving.
Mexican Pasta Salad Tips
This zesty pasta salad is as simple as boiling some pasta, chopping a few fresh veggies, and mixing. A few more steps than that, but still just as simple.
The creamy avocado lime dressing is so simple to make, yet so nutritious and yummy! Just four ingredients – avocado, mayonnaise, taco seasoning, and lime juice.
This is a dressing you will want to make all by itself (I did!), as it goes great on any regular ole salad that you’re whipping up for dinner!
You can use all the dressing on the pasta salad, or you can just use about three-fourths of the dressing. I initially only used about three-fourths and served the rest of the dressing on the side, but for me the salad seemed to need more. So you may want to not add it all if you’re serving for guests, and make the rest available if they want extra dressing.
I also served lime wedges on the side for those who like extra lime zing to their salad. I love lime (and so do my sons), so I added an extra couple lime squeezes when eating my gigantic portion!
This salad is a perfect side paired with any of your favorite picnic, potluck, or cookout favorites.
(These are the dishes I recently served up for our Fourth of July get together with friends. There were many return trips to the buffet table by adults and children alike!)
Mexican Pasta Salad
- 12 ounces rotini pasta (6 cups cooked pasta)
- 1 15.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup corn (fresh, frozen, or canned and drained)
- 8 large cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in fourths
- feta or cotija cheese to top (optional but highly recommended)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning (I like McCormick)
- 2 limes, juice (approximately 5-6 Tbsp)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, add black beans, cilantro, and corn to a large bowl and blend.
- To make the dressing, add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- When pasta is done, drain the water and rinse with cool water in a colander.
- Add cooled pasta to the veggie mixture and blend.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Add tomatoes and dressing shortly before serving. I added only about three-fourths of the dressing, but found that it needed more. Add the amount that you and your family likes. You can always serve more on the side for those who want more. Also great served with extra limes.