This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This shrimp and corn chowder is so savory and full of flavor. You will love it on all the days you want something easy, satisfying, and nourishing for you and your family.
Corn and potatoes are stand-bys when it comes to chowder, and the addition of the shrimp makes this easy corn chowder even more delicious.
Savory, creamy, and just what you need on a night when you need to get something on the table quickly.
From start to finish, you can have this hearty chowder ready in an hour. If you have a ready-made salad and a loaf of French bread handy, you'll be feeding your hungry brood in no time.
In large pot or Dutch oven (love my Lodge Dutch oven), you will heat the butter on medium (4-5 on your dial).
Meanwhile, cut up your onion and garlic. I love to buy the minced garlic in the jars, as it saves me so much time in the kitchen. Add onion and garlic to the hot pan and cook 5-10 minutes or until onion is translucent.
Then you will add your potatoes, corn, broccoli, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper, lemon juice and zest, and chicken broth and bring the soup to a boil.
Boil on medium/high for 30 minutes uncovered in order to cook and reduce broth a bit. Reducing broth is beneficial in order to enhance the flavor while readying the chowder for the addition of cream.
Next, you will reduce the heat to medium, add the prepared shrimp, and cook for 5 minutes.
You will reduce the temperature again and add in the cream. Heat for 5 minutes without boiling.
Serve right away topped with parmesan and chives if desired. Pair with biscuits or crusty bread and a side salad.
Shrimp and Corn Chowder
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled, chopped (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large lemon, juice (about 2 Tbsp) and zest (about 2 tsp)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 30 small shrimp, peeled, de-veined, and tail removed
- ¼ cup cream
- parmesan cheese, grated, to top (optional)
- chives to top (optional)
- In large pot or Dutch oven, heat butter on medium. Add onion and garlic and cook 5-10 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add potatoes, corn, broccoli, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper, lemon juice and zest, and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Boil on medium/high for 30 minutes uncovered (to cook and reduce broth).
- Reduce heat to medium. Add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add cream and heat for 5 minutes without boiling
- Top with parmesan and chives if desired.
- Serve right away with biscuits or crusty bread and a side salad.