Spaghetti Bolognaise Sauce
I love a good pasta sauce, and this simple spaghetti bolognaise is so saucy and flavorful that you will want to make it often.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr 25 mins
Total Time1 hr 40 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 ounces bacon, about 4 slices
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ cup mushrooms, finely chopped (about 2 medium sized)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- ¾ cup red wine
- 1 lemon, zest and juice (about 1 tsp zest and 1 squeeze juice)
- dash nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt, more to taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper, more to taste
- 28 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup beef stock or broth
- ¼ cup cream
In a heavy pan or iron skillet, cook bacon on low-medium until crispy, turning midway through.
Remove bacon from the pan and reserve for later. Spoon out all but about 1 Tbsp of bacon fat.
Cook ground beef in bacon fat, chopping into small bits with a spoon or spatula.
When ground beef is browned, add oregano, thyme, basil, paprika, mushrooms, onion, garlic, carrot, and celery. Cook 10 minutes covered on medium heat (checking and stirring halfway through) until veggies are becoming tender and onion is translucent.
Add wine and cook on medium for 5 minutes uncovered (wine will reduce a bit and alcohol will evaporate off).
Crumble and add the reserved bacon. Add lemon zest and juice, nutmeg, salt, black pepper, crushed tomatoes, and beef stock/broth.
Stir, cover, and simmer on low-medium (2-3) for 50 minutes, checking frequently to make sure sauce doesn't dry out. Add more beef broth if getting too thick.
Add cream and reduce heat to low (1-2). Cover and cook 10 more minutes.
Serve over long noodles such as spaghetti, angel hair, or linguini. Enjoy!