Southern Homemade Chili Recipe
This Southern homemade chili is a great base chili for everyday. So warming and hearty - a dish your whole family will love!
Prep Time10 minutes mins
Cook Time1 hour hr 10 minutes mins
Total Time1 hour hr 20 minutes mins
Course: Main Course
Servings: 6 servings
Author: Savory With Soul
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers , deseeded and finely chopped, about ½ cup
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 14.5 ounce cans petite diced tomatoes , undrained
- 2 15.5 ounce cans pinto beans (or beans of your choice), drained
- 2 cups beef stock or broth
- ½ teaspoon salt , more to taste
- ¼ freshly ground black pepper , more to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika (or smoked)
In large skillet, cook ground beef and onions until meat is browned and onions are slightly translucent, chopping up beef and stirring frequently.
Drain excess beef fat from pan.
Add the rest of the ingredients, mixing in thoroughly.
Bring to a boil. Turn down heat to low and simmer for one hour, covered.
Taste and add more salt, black pepper, or cayenne if desired.
Enjoy topped with shredded cheese along with crusty bread, tortilla chips, or crackers. A side salad goes well with chili as well.
Note: This chili can simmer for another hour or two if needed or desired, but can be served after one hour as well. The longer it simmers, the more the flavors will meld.
Calories: 242kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 631mg | Potassium: 716mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 795IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 3mg