Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
So creamy and hearty, this creamy chicken and wild rice soup is what your family needs on chilly fall days or wintry cold evenings.
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Cook Time1 hour hr 15 minutes mins
Total Time1 hour hr 30 minutes mins
Course: Main Course, Soup
Servings: 6 servings
Author: Savory With Soul
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast , boneless, skinless, cut into small chunks (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic , minced (about 2 large cloves)
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1 teaspoon dry marjoram
- 1 large carrot , sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 large celery stalks , chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups mushrooms , cremini or white, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt , more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper , more to taste
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 8 cups chicken stock (or broth)
- 1-½ cups wild rice , uncooked
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (or amount from one large lemon)
- 1 cup heavy cream
Preheat Dutch oven to medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add oil and chicken. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring to brown all sides. Add onion, garlic, thyme, and marjoram. Stir and cook 3 minutes. Add carrot, celery, and mushrooms. Cook 3 minutes. Add salt, black pepper, and paprika and stir in.
Add broth and rice and bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low-medium (2-3). Cover and cook 1 hour.
Uncover and turn off heat. Add lemon zest and stir in. Let sit 5 minutes, then add cream and stir.
Serve hot with bread and salad if desired.
Calories: 566kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 112mg | Sodium: 769mg | Potassium: 983mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 2715IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2mg