Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
So creamy and hearty, this creamy chicken and wild rice soup is what your family needs on chilly fall days or wintry cold evenings.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast , boneless, skinless, cut into small chunks (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic , minced (about 2 large cloves)
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp dry marjoram
- 1 large carrot , sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 large celery stalks , chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups mushrooms , cremini or white, sliced
- ½ tsp salt , more to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper , more to taste
- ½ tsp paprika
- 8 cups chicken stock (or broth)
- 1-½ cups wild rice , uncooked
- 1 tsp lemon zest (or amount from one large lemon)
- 1 cup heavy cream
Preheat Dutch oven to medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add oil and chicken. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring to brown all sides. Add onion, garlic, thyme, and marjoram. Stir and cook 3 minutes. Add carrot, celery, and mushrooms. Cook 3 minutes. Add salt, black pepper, and paprika and stir in.
Add broth and rice and bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low-medium (2-3). Cover and cook 1 hour.
Uncover and turn off heat. Add lemon zest and stir in. Let sit 5 minutes, then add cream and stir.
Serve hot with bread and salad if desired.
Calories: 566kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 112mg | Sodium: 769mg | Potassium: 983mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 2715IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2mg