Five Cheese Marinara
This five cheese marinara is so simple to make, yet it’s so hearty and satisfying. Serve it over your favorite pasta, or you can top your favorite rice or baked potato. Very versatile and tasty – see for yourself!
Servings: 8 servings
- 3 Tbsp olive oil , extra virgin
- 2 Tbsp garlic , minced (about 3-4 large cloves)
- ½ red onion (or yellow), diced
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry marjoram
- 1 tsp dry basil
- ½ cup red wine (decent quality - NOT cooking wine)
- 56 ounces diced tomatoes (or crushed - good quality Italian in juice) 2-28 ounce cans
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Monterrey Jack cheese , shredded
- ¾ cup 3-cheese blend (asiago, parmesan, romano) , shredded (or ¼ cup of each)
Preheat Dutch oven to medium heat (about 5).
Add oil, onion, and garlic. Stir and cook 3 minutes.
Add herbs and black pepper and cook another 2 minutes, stirring together.
Pour in wine and stir to deglaze pan briefly.
Add canned tomatoes and turn heat up to 7 until simmering. Simmer on low boil uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring and breaking up tomatoes lightly with spoon or hamburger chopper.
Reduce heat to low (about 2) and cover once mixture stops boiling.
Cook 30 minutes covered, stirring occasionally.
Uncover and raise heat to low-medium (3-4) and simmer 15 minutes (to reduce liquid a bit).
Turn heat off and let sit 5 minutes before adding cheeses.
With heat still off, add cheeses and stir to blend. Cover and let sit while preparing the pasta. Stir again before stirring over cooked and drained pasta.
Calories: 125kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 34mg | Potassium: 426mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 301IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 2mg