Old Fashioned Goulash Recipe
This old fashioned goulash recipe is the epitome of comfort food. The saucy, rich broth with layers of flavor along with the tender chunks of beef ... Oh. So. Good!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 Tbsp bacon fat or olive oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper or green, chopped
- 1 pound beef stew meat , cut in ½-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp fennel seeds , crushed
- ½ tsp salt , more to taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper , more to taste
- 1 large carrot , sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 14.5 ounces petite diced tomatoes , 1 can, slightly drained
- 8 ounces egg noodles , uncooked
Heat heavy pan or Dutch oven (my favorite) to medium heat.
Add bacon fat or olive oil, onion, bell pepper, and meat.
Cook for 5-10 minutes or until meat is browned on all sides.
Add paprika, fennel, salt, and black pepper and stir, still cooking on medium heat.
Add carrots, broth, and tomatoes and cover.
Cook on medium heat for 1 hour.
Serve over hot egg noodles.
Calories: 488kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 121mg | Sodium: 970mg | Potassium: 1129mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 4997IU | Vitamin C: 67mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 6mg