Authentic Jambalaya Recipe (Easy & Healthy Jambalaya)
An authentic jambalaya recipe is savory, spicy, meaty, and oh so flavorful! And it's very easy to make as well! Let me share with you my favorite healthy jambalaya with lots of meat, crushed tomatoes, and jambalaya seasoning.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 Tbsp olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color, but I used red)
- 4 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 9-10 ounces sausage, (link type) cut into bite-size medallions (andouille or any sausage of choice)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2 tsp paprika (more or less to taste)
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp thyme , dry
- 1 Tbsp oregano , dry
- 1 Tbsp basil , dry
- 1 can crushed tomatoes, undrained (28 ounces)
- 3 cups chicken broth (or stock)
- 1 cup rice, uncooked (I used Lundberg Jubilee, a wild mixed rice)
- ½ pound shrimp medium size, tail on or off, raw or cooked
Heat the oil on medium in a large Dutch oven on the stove top.
Add onion, celery, and bell pepper and cook about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, basil, oregano, and thyme and stir. Cook for about 5 more minutes.
Add the chicken and sausage and let brown for 5-10 minutes, stirring often.
Add cayenne pepper and paprika to the meat mixture and blend lightly.
Pour in the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, and rice and mix. Bring to a light boil, then lower the heat to 1-2 and cover.
Cook covered on low for 45 minutes, stirring a couple times to make sure the rice isn't sticking to the bottom.
During the last 5-10 minutes of cooking, add the shrimp to the top of the mixture and cover. Check again after about 5 minutes and flip shrimp over, making sure not to cover it deeply so you can keep an eye on its doneness. Cover and cook 5 more minutes or until shrimp is opaque pink and white.
Serve right away with a side salad and crusty bread if desired.
Calories: 485kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 174mg | Sodium: 1188mg | Potassium: 904mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1471IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 138mg | Iron: 4mg