Sausage and Lentil Soup
I really love lentils. They are so tasty, versatile, and filling. They combine nicely with almost any ingredient. Here I have added sausage, perhaps an unlikely combination, but, believe me, this is a very delicious soup you will enjoy serving over and over again!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup celery leaves and tender inside parts
- ½ pound chorizo or other sausage, formed in ½-inch balls
- 1 pound dry lentils, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 large carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 packed cup kale, spine removed and chopped
- ½ tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1-½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- green onion, sliced (optional)
- sour cream or plain yoguart (optional)
On medium heat in a large skillet, heat olive oil and add onion, garlic, and celery. Saute, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
Add sausage and cook until lightly browned, about 5-10 minutes, stirring periodically.
Add lentils, chicken broth, carrots, kale, black pepper, and coriander (wait to add salt when lentils are tender).
Cover and simmer on low heat for 2 hours or until tender and flavors have melded nicely. Add salt and taste for desired doneness.
Top with green onions and/or sour cream or plain yogurt. This is optional, but really adds a nice flavor to the soup.
Serve with salad and crusty bread!