This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This sausage and lentil soup is so tasty, hearty, and simple to whip together. Dinner will be easy tonight!
Just add a side salad and the bread of your choice, and you have a satisfying meal your whole family will enjoy!
Here I have added sausage, perhaps an unlikely combination, but, believe me, this is a very delicious soup you will enjoy serving over and over again!
I really love lentils. They are so healthy, tasty, versatile, and filling. They combine nicely with almost any ingredient.
Sausage and Lentil Soup Tips
Even though most sources say it's not necessary to soak lentils, I still find it beneficial to soak them to help with digestibility.
I actually soak all my dry beans for 24-48 hours in water to help break down their gas-producing properties. But if you don't want to pre-soak your lentils, they will cook just fine without it.
One more note: Avoid adding salt until near the end of the cooking time, as it could hinder the softening of your beans.
This lentil soup recipe is also perfect for the slow cooker. I just happened to make it on the stove top since I was home all day.
For the slow-cook method, simply add all ingredients except the last three to your slow cooker and turn on low heat.
Cook for 6-8 hours or until lentils are done, adding salt once they have begun to soften or at the end. Top with green onion and/or sour cream if desired.
Leave a comment below and let me know how you and your family liked my Sausage and Lentil Soup recipe!
Sausage and Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup celery leaves and tender inside parts
- ½ pound chorizo or other sausage, formed in ½-inch balls
- 1 pound dry lentils, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 large carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 packed cup kale, spine removed and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1-½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- green onion, sliced (optional)
- sour cream or plain yoguart (optional)
- On medium heat in a large skillet, heat olive oil and add onion, garlic, and celery. Saute, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Add sausage and cook until lightly browned, about 5-10 minutes, stirring periodically.
- Add lentils, chicken broth, carrots, kale, black pepper, and coriander (wait to add salt when lentils are tender).
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 2 hours or until tender and flavors have melded nicely. Add salt and taste for desired doneness.
- Top with green onions and/or sour cream or plain yogurt. This is optional, but really adds a nice flavor to the soup.
- Serve with salad and crusty bread!