Southern Black Eyed Peas and Collard Greens
Southern black eyed peas with collard greens is a New Year's special meal that I grew up on every year. Tasty by themselves, even better combined into one dish!
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic , minced (about 2 large cloves)
- 1 medium red onion (or yellow), chopped (about 1 cup)
- 12-16 ounces collard greens , fresh, rinsed, stems removed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup ham , cooked chunks (or cooked bacon)
- 2 cups water (or broth)
- ½ tsp salt , more to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper , more to taste
- 31 ounces black eyed peas (with only salt added - 2 cans, 15.5 ounces each), drained
Preheat cast iron Dutch oven on medium for a couple minutes.
Add oil, garlic, and onion, stir, and cook 5 minutes.
Add collards to pan, stir, and cover 5 minutes.
Add ham, salt, black pepper, and water or broth. Lower heat to 3-4. Cover and cook for 25 minutes.
Add drained beans and stir together. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Serve right away with corn bread or biscuits.
Calories: 475kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 737mg | Potassium: 932mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 4302IU | Vitamin C: 34mg | Calcium: 264mg | Iron: 6mg