This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This very tender and flavorful Salisbury steak recipe is quick to prepare and oh so satisfying – your family will thank you!
Also called Country Style steak, this is one of the best comfort foods around. When cooked right, it’s very tender and flavorful and goes great with mashed potatoes or rice for all that saucy gravy from the pan.
Traditionally, Salisbury steak uses a tougher cut of beef called cubed steak. This tougher cut of meat was cheaper and provided a hearty meal for families on a budget.
Because it was cheap and also hearty, my family ate this a lot when I was growing up in the South. My dad was a real “meat and potatoes” man and wanted some type of meat with mashed potatoes at every meal possible, and this fit the bill perfectly.
Nowadays, I don’t find that it’s necessarily cheaper than, say, ground beef, but it is a very tasty, satisfying meal that’s quick to prepare and needs very little attention while it cooks.
Quick Prep Melt-in-Your-Mouth Salisbury Steak Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat heavy-bottom pan to medium heat (I use my cast iron Dutch oven).
- Mix flour and all dry ingredients in medium bowl or large plate. Coat steaks on both sides thoroughly with flour mixture, reserving remaining flour mixture.
- Add butter to hot pan. When butter is melted, add steaks to pan and cook on each side until browned (about 5 minutes each side).
- Remove steaks from pan. Turn down heat and sprinkle the rest of the flour mixture over pan drippings. Add broth slowly while blending with whisk or fork until smooth.
- Return steaks to the pan and nestle into broth. Cover and cook in preheated oven for 2 hours.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes and vegetable or salad of choice for a hearty, satisfying meal.