This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I call these pulled pork “sloppies,” as they’re not really barbecue and not really sloppy Joes. So, they’re a kind of hybrid, if you will … but delicious, if you want to just dive in and not discuss it 😉
Topped with my Tangy Lemon Dill Rainbow Coleslaw, you may not believe how fabulous a sloppy Joe or barbecue sandwich can be … or you can just serve it on the side (my family goes mixed on this one).
Still a great savory / sweet combination that will mess up your mouth and hands as you dive into this un-classic take on a classic.
So, topped or not – bun, or not … these pulled pork “sloppies” will have all your kin asking for you to make it again and again. Enjoy!
Pulled Pork Sloppy Joes BBQ
- 2 pound boneless pork roast (or 2-1/2 pound bone in)
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp ground dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- Add pork to slow cooker and turn heat to high. Drizzle with the olive oil and cook for 6-8 hours or until it’s falling off the bone.
- Remove meat from slow cooker and separate out any fat or bone, pulling it into bite-sized pieces as you go.
- Return meat to slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well. Turn heat to low. Cook for another 30 minutes to 1 hour (the longer the better for improved blending of flavors).
- Serve by itself or on buns or rolls.Enjoy!