This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This cheese ball recipe with bacon and walnuts is so easy and quick, and the variations are practically endless!
Using the classic cheese ball recipe base of cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, and Worcestershire sauce, you can change it up according to your preferences.
A perfect party appetizer for a crowd, or just to have at home for your family to munch on while you’re cooking dinner. Whether it’s Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas dinner, or just your everyday weeknight dinner.
If you don’t like walnuts, you can use pecans instead. You can literally cover the cheese ball with anything you like.
Pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds, luncheon meat torn in bits, crushed crackers or chips – just use your imagination.
O stick to this delicious combination of bacon and walnuts.
You can also cover the outside with more shredded cheese if you like.
The basic recipe stays the same. Goes great with crackers or vegetables such as celery sticks or carrots.
This cheese ball recipe keeps well for several days in the refrigerator, so it’s easy to make ahead. Making it ahead actually improves the flavor, so you may want to plan for this.
I like to store it in a large bowl with plastic wrap covering it, then place it on my special cheese ball board for serving.
It would look also look great served on a large platter with your crackers and vegetables surrounding the ball.
How to Make a Fabulous Bacon Cheese Ball
In a large bowl, you will first combine the cream cheese and shredded cheeses. I like to use my hands or a strong, sturdy spoon.
(Using your hands is really much easier, in my opinion.)
I added a half cup of pepper Jack cheese for extra flavor and a bit of spice, but you can leave it out or use an extra cup of cheddar if you don’t want any spiciness.
I really couldn’t tell it was in there and may want to add extra next time (me and my boys love spicy things!).
It’s my preference to use sharp or extra sharp cheddar, but you can certainly use mild or medium if that’s your preference.
Next, you will add in the Worcestershire sauce and green onions and mix together with your hands until well incorporated. You will form into a ball as you go.
These two additions are pretty necessary for adding flavor to your ball. I really like the bits of color that the green onions add to the ball as well. I believe your guests (or you family) will agree.
At this point, you can cover the ball with the walnuts and bacon.
However, I recommend covering and refrigerating for about an hour before this step. This gives time for the cheese ball to firm up a bit after all that handling and mixing.
When you’re ready to add the outside covering to the cheese ball, you will need to add your crumbled bacon and walnuts to a large plate and mix together.
Place the cheese ball in the center of the plate and begin to roll the ball around and cover the ball with the walnut and bacon pieces.
I also like to gather the nuts and bacon up over the sides of the ball and press gently but firmly so the pieces stay.
Continue rolling the ball around and adding the nuts and bacon until the entire ball is covered.
Place on a clean platter or cheese ball tray and serve with special crackers and/or vegetables.
I like to have a small knife handy (like in the pictures) for ease of getting the cheese ball bits onto my crackers and veggies.
Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
I hope you love this cheese ball recipe with bacon and make it often (along with the many variations!).
Other Appetizers You May Love:
- Chorizo-Stuffed Mushrooms
- Curried Egg Salad Recipe with Tuna
- Southern Deviled Eggs with Bacon
- Sweetcorn Fritters with Bacon & Garlic Dipping Sauce
Cheese Ball Recipe with Bacon & Walnuts
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , sharp, fresh shredded
- ½ cup pepper Jack cheese , fresh shredded
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup green onions or scallions (2 small bunches), sliced
- ¾ cup walnuts , chopped into smallish pieces
- 6 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and shredded cheeses with your hands or a strong, sturdy spoon. (Using your hands is really much easier, in my opinion.)
- Add in the Worcestershire sauce and green onions and mix together with your hands until well incorporated, forming into a ball as you go. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Add crumbled bacon and walnuts to a large plate and mix together. Place the cheese ball in the center of the plate and begin to cover the ball with the walnut and bacon pieces. I like to gather the nuts and bacon up over the sides of the ball and press gently but firmly so the pieces stay. Continue rolling the ball around and adding the nuts and bacon until the entire ball is covered.
- Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve (up to 4 days).
Don’t Forget to Pin For Later!