This creamy Southern coleslaw recipe is a classic style recipe that goes with anything and everything. So simple and delicious!
From hot dogs to steak ... you can serve this coleslaw, and everyone will be satisfied and wanting more.
No weird ingredients or added sweeteners (I really dislike sweet coleslaw, although I'm from the South), although you could add some sugar or honey if you'd like.
Green and purple cabbage plus shredded carrots, mayonnaise, onion powder, paprika, dry mustard, salt and black pepper - easy ingredients for the perfect classic southern coleslaw recipe.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
This creamy Southern coleslaw is the recipe for you when you need a good basic slaw recipe to go with other things. Adds lots of flavor to everything you pair it with.
- Quick - Takes just 20 minutes from start to finsh. Just chop, mix, and serve.
- Versatile - Goes with lots of other foods - great on hot dogs, brats, and hamburgers and makes a great side dish that goes with anything you're serving - from steak to fish to pork chops or a hodge podge of veggies.
- Simple - Uses readily available ingredients and is easy to put together - cabbage, mayo, mustard, onion powder, carrot, paprika, salt, and pepper. Simple, yet so delicious!
What You'll Need:
- green cabbage
- purple cabbage
- one medium carrot
- onion powder
- yellow mustard
- salt and black pepper
I like to use both green and purple cabbage for the wonderful color combination. The carrots also add color as well as flavor to the mixture.
I love how the purple cabbage and carrots add color to the slaw as it settles and mixes before time to serve. And the paprika is a fabulous flavor and color enhancer as well.
(See recipe card below for ingredient quantities and printable instructions)
How to Make Southern Coleslaw:
Finely chop the cabbage with a chef's knife and add to a large bowl. Shred the carrot and add to the cabbage mixture.
Add all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until incorporated. Taste and add salt as needed.
Start to finish - done in just 20 minutes. Serve right away or refrigerate for up to three days. Can be made ahead of time, and, in fact, is tastier once it has a chance to chill for a few hours or overnight.
(Scroll down for printable recipe card.)
The dressing part of this coleslaw includes mayonnaise, onion powder, prepared yellow mustard, paprika, black pepper, and salt to taste. Simple, readily-available ingredients in most kitchens.
I love to add this coleslaw to my hot dogs or brats at a cookout. But I know a lot of people like to add slaw to barbecue or burgers as well. The messier the better, right?
This Southern style coleslaw pairs perfectly with my Hot Dog Chili Recipe for your next cookout gathering.
Add these Slow Cooker Baked Beans, and you have a winning combination everyone will love!
Other Potluck and Summer Recipes
Southern Coleslaw Recipe
- 2 cups green cabbage finely chopped
- 1-½ cups purple cabbage finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot shredded (about ½ cup)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Add all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until incorporated. Taste and add salt as needed. Serve right away or refrigerate up to 3 days.