This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This ham and bean crockpot soup is perfect for using up leftover ham from Christmas, Easter, or any occasion.
Typically, your ham is quite large, and you can’t finish it all up on the day of the festivities. I really love leftovers … for this very reason. You have so many choices for using them up in the days following your special event.
My ham usually has a bone, which has even more benefits due to its ability to create savory, flavorful broth – perfect for flavoring your favorite soup, casserole, or pasta dish.
This particular crockpot bean soup is loaded with chunks of ham along with white beans, carrots, and celery – all which make for a perfectly creamy bean soup that’s so easy to put together and forget until its done.
Using only a handful of ingredients, your ham and bean crockpot soup will spend its time cooking in the crock pot all day while you go about your business.
Making Crockpot Bean Soup
I like to soak my beans for at least 8 hours, but preferably 24 hours for best digestibility. I actually don’t rinse them until after soaking, but you can rinse before and after if you wish.
This soup is best with leftover ham, and if you have some gelatinous broth to add to the soup the flavor will be boosted. If not, you can just add more water or some chicken or beef broth.
I used ham that was left over from our Christmas dinner, so I had a ham bone and some ham broth at the bottom of the pan.
Don’t add salt to this soup, as you may have enough salt with the ham and broth. If you need more salt once the beans are done, you can always add it at the end.
Once the beans have soaked, you will add everything except the ham chunks to the crock pot and turn on high. If you need to cook the soup slower, you can cook on low.
Once the beans are done after about 6 hours on high, you can remove the bone and add the ham chunks. Let the whole pot heat up again before serving.
I like to serve with bread and a side salad.
Ham and Bean Crockpot Soup
- 1 pound navy beans , dry (or great northern)
- ham bone (from cooked ham)
- 1 large celery stalk , sliced (about ½ cup)
- 1 large carrot , peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 bunch green onions or scallions, chopped (about ⅓ – ½ cup)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups cooked ham , chopped in small chunks
- ½ cup ham broth (gelatinous, from the cooking of the ham), if available (or chicken broth)
- 1 tsp dry parsley (more for garnish if desired)
- salt to taste (if needed)
- Soak dry beans in water 8-24 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Add beans, ham bone, celery, carrot, onion, black pepper, broth, and parsley to crock pot. Turn on high.
- Cook 6 hours on high (8-9 hours on low). Remove ham bone after 5-6 hours or until beans are done. Add ham chunks and stir in. Taste and add more salt if needed.
Don’t Forget to Pin For Later!