This slow cooked chicken and corn soup eats like a chowder - so hearty, creamy, and flavorful!
Full of chicken, corn, and potatoes with cream cheese, herbs, spices and, of course, bacon to flavor it up.
You'll find it easy by using your slow cooker. Your family will just say it's delicious and ask for more!
Like any good slow cooker recipe, this recipe calls for dumping all your ingredients in, mixing a bit to incorporate, then letting it cook on high or low for hours while you go about your day.
Let me tell you - I love my slow cooker, especially on busy days!
The only thing you'll want to cook outside of the slow cooker is your bacon. You'll want to cook this up on the stove top before adding to the soup.
My recommendation, if you like to add bacon to your meals, is to cook up a whole pack of it at one time and then crumble it and either refrigerate or freeze it for future use.
It's also good to save the bacon fat for cooking, which adds so much flavor!
What You'll Need
1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (or 2 boneless, skinless thighs), ¾ to 1 pound, cut into small cubes
3 cups corn (fresh, frozen, or canned and drained)
4 cups chicken broth or stock
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced (3 large cloves)
2 teaspoons dry marjoram (or oregano)
½ teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon dry thyme
1 cup carrots, sliced (1 medium)
3 large red potatoes, chopped (about 2 to 2-½ cups)
½ teaspoon salt, more to taste
¼ teaspoon black pepper
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
½ cup cream
2 ounces cream cheese
chives or parsley to top (optional)
How to Make
To a large slow cooker, add chicken, corn, chicken broth, onion powder, garlic, marjoram, paprika, thyme, carrots, potatoes, salt, and black pepper.
Stir together. Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.
30 minutes before serving, add cream and cream cheese and cover (turning heat down to low or warm).
Stir to mix in melted cream cheese. Serve topped with bacon and chives or parsley (optional).
Easy peasy! (And such a hearty and delicious slow cooked chicken and corn soup!)
This recipe for chicken sweetcorn soup is cooked on high or low depending on when you will be home. If you will be gone all day, cooking on low is a good choice.
For the corn, you can use fresh, frozen, or canned. No need to thaw frozen corn before adding. Canned corn should be drained of the liquid before adding.
For the garlic, you can use jarred garlic or fresh. Jarred is a good time saver for me, but fresh can have a stronger flavor. Use what you have, and you will enjoy it just the same!
I used baby carrots for this recipe and like how small the pieces were. If using full size carrots, I recommend peeling first and then either slicing or chopping them into the sizes you want for your soup.
For the herbs, 1 teaspoon dry equals about 1 Tablespoon of fresh. So if you have fresh, you will need a large quantity to equal the dry measures given.
If you want to add more cheese, that would be a delicious option. You can either add more with the cream cheese or to individual bowls when serving (or both).
Serve this slow cooker chicken and corn soup with a side salad and bread of choice for a hearty, wholesome meal the whole family will enjoy!
Some salad choices include:
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooked Chicken and Corn Soup
- 1 pound chicken breast , boneless, skinless (or thighs), about 1 cup, cut into pieces
- 3 cups corn , fresh, frozen, or canned and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic , minced (3 large cloves)
- 2 teaspoon marjoram , dry (or oregano) (2 Tablespoons fresh)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme , dry (1 Tablespoon fresh)
- 1 cup carrots , sliced or chopped (1 medium)
- 2-½ cups red potatoes , skin on (about 3 large), chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt , more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 4 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled
- chives or parsley to top (optional)
- To a large slow cooker, add chicken, corn, chicken broth, onion powder, garlic, marjoram, paprika, thyme, carrots, potatoes, salt, and black pepper. Stir together.
- Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, add cream and cream cheese and cover (turning heat down to low or warm).
- Stir to mix in melted cream cheese.
- Serve topped with bacon and chives or parsley (optional).
Don't Forget to Pin For Later!