Mashed potato patties are the perfect dish to whip up when you have leftover mashed potatoes. Quick, easy, and delicious! Adding shredded cheese to the mixture is an added bonus.
These cook up crispy on the outside and soft and cheesy on the inside - great side dish or appetizer for your busy days.
Mashed Potato Patties Tips
Depending on the mashed potatoes you're using, you may or may not need to add salt or black pepper. My potatoes are usually well seasoned to begin with, so I don't usually need to add more salt.
If you are gluten free, you can certainly use a gluten-free flour of your choice to this recipe, but the flour is a must in order for the patties to hold their shape when cooking. Otherwise, they won't firm up and brown properly - they'll just "mush" down and stick to the pan (trust me on this - I've had many failures).
These cheesy potato pancakes pair well with pork, chicken, beef, or seafood. You can even pair them with an all-vegetable meal. They make a very satisfying side dish for just about any meal you're planning.
Mashed Potato Patties with Cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- salt and ground black pepper as needed to taste
- Add olive oil or butter to large skillet and heat to medium.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat eggs (about 30 strokes).
- Add potatoes, cheese, and flour and mix until incorporated.
- Form potato mixture into 4 equal-sized patties and place in hot skillet. Cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired brownness. Serve while hot.