This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Making this Panda Express fried rice recipe is so simple, yet so tasty and hearty! Pairs well with most dishes – not just Chinese-inspired foods.
All you need is a handful of ingredients, including eggs, cooked rice, oil, scallions or green onions, and frozen mixed vegetables.
Note that you can also use canned mixed vegetables if that’s what you have on hand – just make sure to drain the liquid before adding.
How to Make Fried Rice
First, you will cook your rice. Follow the package directions on the rice you use. The rice varieties I use typically take about 45 minutes, so allow for this time when making this recipe.
I used a short grain brown rice (Lundberg brand) for this recipe. It has a nice nutty flavor that’s not overpowering, but not bland either. Other Lundberg rice varieties I love include their Volcano rice and Jubilee rice.
You can use whatever rice you have on hand, as this recipe is very adaptable and forgiving. More short-grain rice varieties can be found on Amazon.
When the rice is almost done, you will heat a non-stick or heavy skillet to low-medium heat. I like to use my Lodge cast iron skillet.
While pan is heating, you will beat the eggs with added salt and pepper in a small bowl until well blended.
The oils will be added to the hot pan next. Don’t skimp on using the sesame oil, as it will add some great flavor. If you don’t have it and can’t get any, you can just substitute another oil (just be aware that the flavor won’t be as rich). You could also consider adding a bit of extra soy sauce to make up for the lack of sesame oil.
You can get sesame oil on Amazon here.
You will then scramble the eggs until firm but still soft. Add peas and carrots, stir, and cover for 5 minutes.
Final step is to add the cooked rice, scallions, and soy sauce to the egg and vegetable mixture and stir to incorporate. Cover to heat through for a few minutes, making sure that the mixture isn’t too hot that it will stick to the pan bottom.
Uncover, serve hot, and enjoy this Panda Express Fried Rice with all your favorite main entrees! Goes with practically anything but can also be eaten all by itself for a light lunch or dinner
Panda Express Fried Rice
- 2 eggs (large)
- ¼ tsp salt, more to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper, more to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil (don't substitute – adds flavor)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables, frozen or canned (I used peas and carrots) (if using canned, drain before adding)
- 3 cups cooked rice
- ⅓ cup green onions (or scallions)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce (more to taste)
- Heat a non-stick or heavy skillet (I like cast iron) to low-medium heat (about 3-4).
- While pan is heating, beat the eggs with added salt and pepper in a small bowl until well blended.
- Add oils to hot pan and coat bottom of pan.
- Add eggs to the pan and scramble (stirring and moving around the pan as the egg cooks).
- When eggs are firm but still soft, reduce heat to low (1-2). Add peas and carrots, stir, and cover for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked rice, scallions, and soy sauce to the egg and vegetable mixture and stir to incorporate. Cover to heat through for a few minutes, making sure that the mixture isn't too hot that it will stick to the pan bottom.
- Uncover and serve hot.