This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This chicken tater tot casserole is perfect for a busy weeknight. It has all the makings for a quick, easy, tasty recipe for your family - just when you need it most!
This casserole is similar to a chicken pot pie, but without the crust and much quicker and easier. The tater tots act as a sort of crust on the top.
Using frozen tater tots and mixed vegetables contribute to the quickness of this recipe - along with the canned cream soup. Takes only 35 minutes from start to finish!
I suggest that you use a mixed vegetable combo that your family will love.
I used a pea, corn, green bean, and carrot mixture, but you may want to just use individual veggies to create your own mixture.
As long as it's 12 ounces and what your family loves - it will turn out great!
What You'll Need
2 cups cooked shredded chicken (can used canned chicken)
12 ounces mixed vegetables , frozen
21 ounces condensed cream soup (2 cans - 10.5 ounces each) - I used one can cream chicken and 1 can cream mushroom
1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tsp paprika
16 ounces tater tots , frozen
(Full Recipe Below)
How to Make Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
Prep time for this recipe is just about 10 minutes. Simply gathering all your ingredients and shredding your cheese (if you aren't using already shredded).
You won't need to heat anything on the stove top - just preheat your oven while you mix together all the ingredients except for the tater tots and half the cheese.
Then, you will add the mixture to a 9 x 9 baking dish and spread to even it out.
Next comes the tater tots lined up on top just like soldiers. Place them in an even row touching.
You don't want any gaps or you may not have enough room for them all.
Bake the tater tot casserole for 25 minutes uncovered, then top with the remaining cheese and cook just 5 minutes more to melt the cheese.
Then you're done!
While the casserole is cooking, you may want to whip up a quick salad to go along with it - or use already prepared bagged salad.
If you want to use canned vegetables, this would be okay (although I prefer frozen, as they taste fresher to me). Make sure to drain the vegetables before adding, as you don't want extra liquid.
For the cheese, I prefer to use a sharp or extra sharp cheddar, as it adds more flavor than mild. But use what you have and what you prefer.
You could even try pepper Jack cheese to add a bit of spice. I bet this would be a delicious option!
Leave me a message in the comments below and tell me how you like this casserole and what type of cheese you used!
Chicken Tater Tot Casserole (Easy & Cheesy)
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (can used canned chicken)
- 12 ounces mixed vegetables , frozen
- 21 ounces condensed cream soup (2 cans - 10.5 ounces each) - I used one can cream chicken and 1 can cream mushroom
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 16 ounces tater tots , frozen
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large bowl, add chicken, vegetables, cream soup, ½ cup cheese, black pepper, and paprika. Mix with a spoon to incorporate all ingredients.
- In a 9 x 9 pan, pour in the chicken/vegetable mixture, spreading to make it even.
- Top with the tater tots one at a time, placing side by side.
- Cook uncovered for 25 minutes or until tater tots are browned.
- Top with remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese and cook 5 more minutes to melt.
- Serve right away.
Don't Forget to Pin For Later!