This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This chicken divan crock pot recipe is a classic comfort recipe that you’ve likely had in some form or another. Cooking it in the slow cooker makes it super simple.
The chicken turns out very tender, and the sauce is very prolific and creamy.
Chicken divan in its simplicity essentially combines chicken, rice, and broccoli into a one-pot casserole meal that is both delicious and nutritious.
Combine those characteristics with easy, and you have the makings for a dinner recipe that you’ll come back to over and over again.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1-1/2 cups fried onions (like Durkee brand, but I typically use a store brand)
- 1 cup of brown rice (NOT quick cooking)
- 1 quart chicken stock or broth
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced (or 2 Tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons dry marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 cup shredded chedddar cheese (I like to use sharp)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
This is a typical easy crock pot meal. You basically dump most of the ingredients in your slow cooker and let it do its job of cooking the most tender, creamy chicken dinner you could imagine.
The chicken turns out so tender, and the rice turns out creamy and flavorful after soaking up the broth.
The added fried onions thicken the broth even more to create a creamy texture that’s sure to please your whole family. Hearty, satisfying, and delicious!
Tips & FAQs
The broccoli is added near the end of the cook time in order to preserve more of its distinct flavor and avoid getting overly soft.
This recipe is typically made in the oven – a popular, hearty casserole dish – but I thought a nice rendition in the slow cooker was in order.
I like to use my slow cooker, especially in the summertime, when I want to save time and not heat my house up as much. This is the perfect dish to “fix and forget.”
After cooking, you can either shred the chicken and mix in with the rest of the ingredients, or you can leave the chicken breasts whole.
Since this is a recipe designed for four people, you would want to at least cut each breast in half before serving. It’s a lot of meat, even for four people, so use your own judgment here.
Makes for great leftovers, and if you have more chicken left over than rice and broccoli, you can easily cook up more to go with the leftover chicken for another meal.
Feel free to use thighs in this recipe in place of the breasts, but keep in mind that there will be more oil produced since thighs are a fattier cut of chicken meat.
You’ll probably want to trim the fat beforehand, but if you don’t it shouldn’t matter too much, as fat does add flavor.
Best to use boneless and skinless thighs to make things easier once everything is done. If using thighs, use four in place of the two large breasts in the recipe.
I hope you love this chicken divan crock pot recipe as much as my family and I do! Please try it, and let me know in the comments below how it turns out for you!
Here’s an easy Chicken, Broccoli & Rice Casserole that’s very similar to this Chicken Divan, but it cooks in the oven. Easy & tasty!
Other Chicken & Casserole Recipes to Love:
Chicken Divan Crock Pot Recipe
- 2 large chicken breasts , boneless, skinless
- 1 cup brown rice , uncooked (NOT quick cooking)
- 1 quart chicken stock or broth
- 2 Tbsp garlic , minced (about 4 large cloves)
- 2 tsp marjoram , dry
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt , more to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 2 cups broccoli florets , fresh
- 1-½ cups fried onions (like Durkee – I usually use store brands)
- Add 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts to your slow cooker and top with rice, chicken stock, fried onions, garlic, marjoram, black pepper, and salt.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, low for 6-7 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of cook time, turn heat to warm and add broccoli and top with cheese.
- Cover and let sit 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and broccoli is a bit soft. Serve hot.
Don’t Forget to Pin For Later!