This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Turkey ala king - a creamy, savory, satisfying dinner fit for a king! This recipe utilizes leftover turkey to make a fabulous dinner that is great over rice or noodles.
Using two cups of cooked leftover turkey in this turkey ala king will help use up your turkey leftovers and give you a nice change from your Thanksgiving feast.
The recipe can easily be doubled if you're feeding a crowd.
Of course, you can also use leftover chicken in place of the turkey. If you don't have any leftovers, canned chicken will work as well.
How to Make Turkey Ala King
This turkey ala king recipe is very quick and easy - 45 minutes from start to finish. All you need are some standard vegetable ingredients and herbs along with some leftover turkey, and you're good to go.
Carrots, green beans (fresh or frozen), mushrooms, and peas all make this dish healthy and delicious.
Oregano, marjoram, and thyme are some of my standard herbs for use in lots of my recipes. I like to add quite a bit of dry herbs, which really takes the flavor up several notches!
If you have fresh herbs, all the better! For every teaspoon of dry herbs, substitute with ¼ cup fresh chopped herbs.
Sprinkling the flour and mixing in well before adding the liquids will help prevent clumps of flour.
You want a nice "gravy" for your sauce to be creamy. Too thick, and it will be dry. Too thin, and it will be soupy. You don't want soup - you want creamy gravy.
The flour will thicken your liquids to make this turkey recipe creamy, delicious, and satisfying!
How to Serve Turkey Ala King
This dish is traditionally served over toast, biscuits, noodles, or rice. You can also choose to serve it by itself with bread or other sides like salad.
You have your meat and veggies within the dish, so no other veggies would be necessary. But a simple side salad would be a great addition along with this for your dinner menu.
I served mine over egg noodles, which helps soak up the delicious, creamy sauce.
Just as delicious served over rice or biscuits.
Turkey Ala King Recipe (Using Leftover Turkey)
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (½ - ¾ cup)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped (½ - ¾ cup)
- 1 cup green beans, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry marjoram
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 medium mushrooms, white or cremini, sliced
- 3 Tbsp flour (all purpose)
- ½ cup white wine , dry
- 1 cup chicken broth (or stock)
- 1 cup cream or half and half
- 2 cups turkey , cooked and cut into chunks
- 1 cup peas frozen or fresh
- In a heavy skillet or Dutch oven (I use cast iron), heat the butter over medium.
- Add celery, carrots, green beans, thyme, marjoram, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes on medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and cooked covered for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the veggies and stir to blend with a spoon or fork.
- Add the wine, broth, cream, turkey, and peas.
- Cook uncovered for 5-10 minutes until thickened.
- Serve right away over toast, noodles, or rice. Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days.