This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This fried cabbage recipe with sausage is so quick and easy - you won't believe it! The sausage is a fabulous addition that adds great flavor and spice!
Taking only 20 minutes from prep to serving, this skillet cabbage with sausage is a real winner for busy weeknight dinners! And you get to choose the sausage you use. I used Polish sausage, but you can use a less spicy or more spicy sausage.
Read on for my best tips on making your best fried cabbage ever!
Tips for the Best Fried Cabbage
Fried cabbage with sausage is a simple, quick recipe. But, there are cautions that you need to heed.
Specifically, don't cook the cabbage too long ... unless you like soggy, limp cabbage. As for me, I like my fried cabbage lightly cooked and still a bit firm and crunchy. Just like broccoli, if you cook cabbage too long, it will be wilted and soggy. Not the best fried vegetable recipe, in my opinion.
High heat and quick cooking is the best way to go with most fried vegetables. This gets a bit of softening without over cooking. It can take just a minute or two to turn a just-right vegetable into an over-cooked vegetable in the fry pan.
For the sausage, I like to cut the pieces into about ½-inch portions diagonally. Meaning, not just a straight cut down the sausage. This makes the pieces appear longer and a bit more "fancy," if you will 😉 I think it also provides a larger surface for browning.
Speaking of browning, I like to cook the sauce first to a nice brown before adding the cabbage. The cabbage won't take long to soften a bit, so you want the sausage fully cooked and browned to your liking for adding the cabbage to the pan.
Hope you like this fried cabbage recipe! Let me know how yours turned out and what type sausage you used in the comments below!
Fried Cabbage Recipe with Sausage
- 2 cups cabbage (about 1 pound), sliced
- 6 ounces Polish sausage or kielbasa (or link sausage of choice), cut in ½-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 small onion , peeled and cut in strips
- 1 small carrot , shredded (about ½ cup)
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt , more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper , more to taste
- Preheat heavy skillet to low-medium heat (about 2-3).
- Add oil to pan and then sausage. Stir and cook uncovered about 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add onions to pan and stir. Cook uncovered for 2 minutes.
- Add carrot, cabbage, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Stir and cook uncovered 3-5 minutes or until desired doneness. Remove from heat and serve right away.
Leave a Reply