This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
So, who doesn’t love a quick pasta meal? From a box is extremely quick, but this recipe doesn’t take that much more effort and is infinitely tastier, which you and your family will appreciate.
Plus, it’s healthier, and you know better where all the ingredients come from.
As you probably already know, pasta dishes are my favorite, and I really love how rotini captures and envelopes all the sauces and flavors surrounding it, making the dish especially yummy.
Cheesy, beefy, savory, and very satisfying is this homemade not-from-a-box easy, one-pot Hamburger Helper recipe.
The addition of carrots and other veggies actually makes this cheeseburger skillet casserole quite healthy. You get your protein and veggies in one pot – a fairly quick-to-put-together recipe to satisfy you and your family.
Leftovers are great too – if you have any left over 😉
Homemade Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Casserole
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (if ground beef is extra lean)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp dry marjoram
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 14,5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 16 ounces uncooked rotini or macaroni
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat heavy saucepan or Dutch oven on medium. If ground beef is extra lean (85% or higher), add oil.
- Add ground beef, onion, bell pepper, garlic, oregano, thyme, marjoram, basil, and paprika. Cook for 10 minutes or until ground beef is browned and veggies are softened.
- Add carrots and cover. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cover. Cook 20 minutes.
- Uncover and turn heat down to low.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. I used rotini, but you could also use macaroni or any short pasta of your choice.
- When pasta is done, drain and add cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and milk. Cover until cheese is melted, stirring periodically (should take about 10 minutes total).
- Add pasta mixture to meat mixture and stir until incorporated. Serve right away with your favorite bread and salad.