This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This shaved Brussel sprouts salad includes kale and apples and a delicious, creamy honey lime dressing. So refreshing, crunchy, and nutritious!
Brussels sprouts taste like little cabbages when eaten raw and are super tasty shaved and added to a salad mix with other veggies.
The honey lime dressing adds a touch of tart and sweet that really blends nicely without overpowering the flavors of the different vegetables and tart apple pieces.
I like using Granny Smith apples in this salad, but you could certainly use another tart apple (or a sweet apple) if you choose. I believe the outcome would be just as good.
Making a Shaved Brussel Sprouts Salad
Add all the veggies and apple pieces along with the salt and black pepper to a large bowl and mix together thoroughly.
Note that it’s easier to use a bowl that’s too big so you have plenty of room to mix and stir.
Prepare the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a medium-sized bowl and blending with a whisk or fork.
Add the dressing to the salad just before serving for best results.
The salad doesn’t keep as well with the dressing on, so if you don’t plan to eat it all, you may want to add the dressing to only part of the salad.
Tips for the Best Brussel Sprout Salad
You can buy already shaved or shredded Brussels sprouts, or you can shave them yourself.
Shaving is basically the same as shredding or finely chopping. I used a chef’s knife, but you can also use a food processor if you have one.
If using whole fresh Brussels sprouts, be sure to remove the outer leaf or two from each sprout and trim off the stem end before chopping.
For the kale, I like to use Tuscan or black kale (also called Lacinato), as I believe it’s much more tender when used uncooked in salads.
I like to remove the center stem from the kale leaves before chopping, as it can be tough.
Also, be sure to wash your kale thoroughly, as kale can harbor dirt or sand in its ridges (especially on the underside).
Once washed and trimmed, chop the kale finely into bite-sized pieces with a large knife.
For the apple, I like to use a tart apple type such as Granny Smith, but you can also use a sweet apple if that’s your preference.
Either way, try to get a firmer apple as opposed to a softer one, as the apple should add a nice crunch to the salad.
The honey lime dressing adds a nice sweet-tart flavor boost.
I hope you and your family love this shaved Brussel sprouts salad as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below.
Brussel Sprout and Kale Salad with Creamy Honey Lime Dressing
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts , shaved or chopped
- 2 cups Tuscan or black kale , de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 medium carrot , shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- ½ cup red bell pepper , chopped
- 1-½ cup Granny Smith apple (or other tart) , cored and chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup honey (preferrably raw)
- ½ cup lime juice (or juice from 2 limes)
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Add all the veggies and apple pieces along with the salt and black pepper to a large bowl and mix together thoroughly. Note that it's easier to use a bowl that's too big so you have plenty of room to mix and stir.
- Prepare the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a medium-sized bowl and blending with a whisk or fork.
- Add the dressing to the salad just before serving for best results. The salad doesn't keep as well with the dressing on, so if you don't plan to eat it all, you may want to add the dressing to only part of the salad.
Don’t Forget to Pin For Later!