This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This chicken broccoli casserole with rice is very easy & quick to put together. It feels like cheating almost, and you get a whole meal in just one pan.
Plus, it’s very creamy, cheesy, satisfying, and kid friendly. What more could you ask for?
Since I love my Dutch oven so much, I cook many of my casseroles in it, including this one. I goes from the stove top to the oven with ease.
This is especially useful if you’re sauteing part of the recipe before finishing cooking in the oven.
If you don’t already have a Dutch oven, may I recommend this Lodge Dutch oven.
I have been making this casserole for years.
Why? Because it’s so simple, nutritious, and yummy!
I’m not averse to using canned cream soups, as I usually choose the “healthy” version of the condensed soups.
I know it’s not as good as making it all completely from scratch, but as a busy mom I need to have a few shortcuts now and then, even while trying to be as healthy as possible.
This chicken broccoli casserole with rice covers all the bases for a complete meal.
You have your starch with the rice, and I like to use a short grain brown rice for this by Lundberg. It cooks up fluffy and full of flavor and goes with anything.
To make it complete, you have your green vegetable (broccoli) and your protein (chicken).
The added cheese, chicken broth, and cream soup add nutrition, flavor, and creamy goodness!
It’s not a super quick recipe, but your hands-on time is only about 20 minutes. The rest is time in the oven where you can get some other things done in your busy life.
Making a Simple Chicken Casserole
It’s not hard to make a simple chicken casserole with the right instruction. Adding the cream soup is an easy way to bump this recipe from bland to fabulous with little effort.
The trick to this recipe is to have enough liquid to cook the rice.
It’s imperative to cover the casserole the whole time in the oven until the last five minutes in order to retain the steam so the rice will cook properly.
So basically you will start with oil, garlic, and chicken in the Dutch oven and cook it briefly.
You will then add the rest of the ingredients and pop the whole thing in the oven to finish cooking without your oversight.
I hope you love this simple, cheesy chicken broccoli casserole as much as me and my family do! Let me know in the comments below!
Also try my close slow cooker version of this recipe – Crock Pot Chicken Divan.
Chicken Broccoli Casserole with Rice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 Tbsp garlic , minced
- 1 pound chicken breast , cut into strips
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (10.5 ounces)
- 1 cup rice , uncooked
- 2-½ cups chicken broth (or stock)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups broccoli , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1-½ cups cheddar cheese , divided
- Preheat Dutch oven on medium heat on the stove top (5-10 minutes).
- Add oil, garlic, and chicken and cook 10 minutes (5 minutes on each side).
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- When chicken has cooked for 10 minutes, add rice, broth, salt, black pepper, and broccoli. Mix together.
- Add cream soup and 1 cup of the cheese and stir.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 55 minutes. Uncover and top with remaining ½ cup cheese. Return to oven for 5 minutes to let cheese melt. Remove from oven and let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.
Don’t Forget to Pin For Later!