I believe you will love this chicken spaghetti with Rotel recipe as much as my family did!
Comfort food at its finest with pasta, creamy cheese, chicken pieces, and tomatoes with a bit of spicy bite.
Even my husband, who isn't a fan of spicy really liked this recipe.
If you can't find Rotel brand, it's perfectly okay to buy a generic off-shoot (I did!). It's called diced tomatoes and red chilis (if I remember correctly).
I saw the Rotel right next to it, but the store brand was half the price (and tasted just as fabulous).
If you like easy, creamy, flavorful, and quick - this is the recipe for you! In 30 minutes you will have a delicious, hearty meal to serve your family.
What You'll Need
1 large chicken breast, boneless and skinless, 2 cups (about 1 pound), cut into small pieces
1 pound uncooked spaghetti or linguini
2 cans Rotel or store brand equivalent (diced tomatoes and chilis), 10 ounces each, drained
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon dry marjoram (or 1 Tablespoon fresh)
1 Tablespoon oil
2 Tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup cream or whole milk
½ teaspoon black pepper
salt to taste
How to Make
Heat a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot to medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil of choice to the pan. Add your cut up chicken pieces and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
Before the chicken is done, you will add the garlic and marjoram and cook 5 minutes more or until the chicken is done. Ideally, the chicken will be browned, but cook it the way you like it.
Turn heat off.
While chicken is cooking, cook pasta according to package directions.
Once chicken is done, add 1 more tablespoon butter, cream cheese, cream, and cheddar cheese to chicken, breaking up cream cheese a bit.
Cover and let sit for 5-10 minutes (with heat off) to soften cheeses, stirring after 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, drain water from cooked spaghetti.
Uncover chicken mixtures and add tomatoes and cooked spaghetti.
Heat to low (2-3) for 10 minutes to heat through, stirring occasionally.
Serve right away while hot with crusty bread and salad of choice.
What to Serve with Chicken Spaghetti
Yes, you absolutely can! If you do, just skip the step where you cook the chicken. Just heat and brown the cooked chicken while sauteeing the garlic and oregano.
If you use cream, the sauce will tend to be thicker and creamier. If you use milk, it's best if you use whole milk instead of skim. If you only have low-fat milk on hand, however, you may want to add some extra butter to make it creamier.
The store brands call it "diced tomatoes with chilis" or something to that affect. If you can't find it or don't want any spice, you can substitute canned petite diced tomatoes.
If you don't have marjoram, you can substitute oregano or basil if you'd like. Thyme would also be a good option, although it tends to be tougher in a quick-cook dish like this (unless you use fresh).
Chicken Spaghetti with Rotel (easy & cheesy)
- 2 cups chicken breast uncooked, from 1 large boneless, skinless breast, cut in small pieces
- 1 pound pasta spaghetti or linguini, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 20 ounces Rotel 2 cans, or canned diced tomates with chilis, drained
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded (I like to use sharp)
- 1 teaspoon marjoram dry (or 1 Tablespoon fresh)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon butter divided
- 1 cup cream or whole milk
- Heat a large Dutch oven to medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil of choice to the pan. Add cut up chicken pieces and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic and marjoram and cook 5 minutes more or until chicken is done.
- Turn heat off.
- While chicken is cooking, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Once chicken is done, add 1 more tablespoon butter, cream cheese, cream, and cheddar cheese to chicken, breaking up cream cheese a bit.
- Cover and let sit for 5-10 minutes (with heat off) to soften cheeses, stirring after 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain water from cooked spaghetti.
- Uncover chicken mixtures and add tomatoes and cooked spaghetti.
- Heat to low (2-3) for 10 minutes to heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Serve right away while hot.