This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Goulash … the epitome of comfort food. The saucy, rich broth with layers of flavor along with the tender chunks of beef …
Slow cooking melds the wonderful paprika with all the other ingredients to make this a hearty, nourishing, satisfying meal.
I have had some amazing goulash in my life … namely the goulash I had in the late 1980’s in small-town Austria.
Hence, my quest to re-create that recipe.
I found that the key is paprika and more paprika. And also tender beef and just overall savory goodness … oh, and slow cooking, which is the best way for foods to meld and simmer and mix flavors to create the best recipes that have your family (or guests) licking their chops and praising you endlessly.
Well … not exactly … but this is an extremely flavorful goulash that is so simple to make and will have you coming back to it again and again for that easy, delicious recipe you all want for dinner.
I rarely cook the same dish exactly the same way, as I love to experiment, but this Hungarian goulash is so perfect (in my opinion) that I keep making it again and again just as it’s written. Make it tonight, and let me know what you think!
Other Recipes to Try:
- Chicken & Bacon Pasta Bake
- Corn Potato Chowder (Easy, Hearty & Delicious!)
- Baked Mahi Mahi Recipe (Simple & So Flavorful!)
- Authentic Jambalaya Recipe (Lots of Spicy Flavors!)
- Turkey Ala King (Using Leftover Turkey or Chicken)
- London Broil Crock Pot Recipe (with Built-In Gravy)
Easy Hungarian Goulash Recipe
- 1 Tbsp bacon fat or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 yellow or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, more to taste
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes, slightly drained
- 8 ounces uncooked egg noodles
- Heat heavy pan or Dutch oven (my favorite) to medium heat.
- Add bacon fat or olive oil, onion, bell pepper, and meat.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes or until meat is browned on all sides.
- Add paprika, fennel, salt, and black pepper and stir, still cooking on medium heat.
- Add carrots, broth, and tomatoes and cover.
- Cook on medium heat for 1 hour.
- Serve over hot egg noodles.